TARGET TEAM FINISHES 13TH AT BRISTOL
Results (starting pos.) from the Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway
1. (8) Denny Hamlin, No. 11 Toyota
13. (28) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
17. (26) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/ Allstate Chevrolet
BRISTOL, Tenn. (August 25, 2012) – The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) returned to the track famously named the “World’s Fastest Half-Mile” over the weekend for some short track racing under the lights. This was the first time the NSCS raced on the newly configured race track. Starting from the 28th-position, Montoya gained 15 spots to finish out the wild night in 13th.
Qualifying was rained out Friday afternoon causing teams to line-up by their first practice session speeds. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet started out in 28th and made a move to the front immediately. The team played on pit strategy with multiple two tire stops and minor adjustments throughout the night. The Target Chevrolet spent the entire race running in the top-15 and was displayed as high as the third position. When the checkered flag waved, Montoya would be credited with a 13th-place finish.
“The Target Chevy was good tonight,” Montoya remarked. “We had a few handling issues early on but we got it under control. I was surprised that we had a long green flag run there at the end. This new surface makes it so tough to pass so we never had the opportunity to get back up into the top-10. I’m happy that we brought the car home in one piece.”
- Tonight’s race was the first event since the track surface was modified following the Spring Bristol race
- The 13th-place finish was Montoya’s best finish since the Spring Michigan race where the team finished eighth.
- Montoya gained one position in the point standings to now sit in 21st; 185 out of the Chase for the Sprint Cup.