TEAM TARGET FINSIHES 20TH AT RICHMOND
Results (starting pos.) from the Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond International Raceway
1. (4) Clint Bowyer, No. 15 Toyota
20. (24) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
22. (26) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/Allstate Chevrolet
Team Target Endures a Marathon Night at Richmond to Finish 20th
RICHMOND, Va. (September 8, 2012) – The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series returned to Richmond International Raceway for a night of racing under the lights. The race marked the final race before the Chase begins and the Target team looked to have a solid evening. The team endured a rainy evening filled with a delayed race, a red flag and multiple cautions for rain to finish out the night in the 20th-position.
Juan Pablo Montoya started the Target Chevrolet in the 24th position and started to make an early charge to the front after some early adjustments in the opening laps. Montoya advanced to the 13th position when the red flag was displayed for rain. Teams returned to their cars an hour later and as the race resumed Montoya radioed in more handling concerns due to a “green” race track. The team spent the remainder of the evening finding the right balance for the race car and enduring several cautions for rain. When the checkered flag waved the Target Chevrolet was credited with 20th-position.
“Our Target Chevy was great when we started out the race and then we had that red flag and the handling changed drastically when we restarted the race,” Montoya remarked. “The track went green and we spent the rest of the night trying to turn the handling back around. We made progress but definitely didn’t end up where we had hoped.”
- Rain showers caused the start of the race to be delayed plus brought out a red flag and multiple cautions throughout the evening for random rain showers
- This was the final race before the Chase begins. Only 10 races remain in the 2012 season
- Montoya remains 21st in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will head to Chicagoland Speedway next weekend for the GEICO 400. The race will air live on ESPN and radio stations affiliated with MRN on Sunday, September 16 at 1:00 pm ET.