MCDONALD'S TEAM FINISHES 21ST AT CHICAGOLAND
Results (starting pos.) from the GEICO 400 at Chicagoland Speedway
1. (13) Brad Keselowski, No. 2 Dodge
21. (12) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet
23. (28) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
JOLIET, Ill. (September 16, 2012) – Chicagoland Speedway played host to the first race in the 2012 Chase to the Sprint Cup on Sunday afternoon for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS). Jamie McMurray rolled off from the 12th-position in the McDonald’s Chevrolet and came home with a 21st-place finish.
After posting a strong qualifying effort in the McDonald’s Chevy on Saturday afternoon, McMurray would quickly move into the top-ten once the green flag fell for the GEICO 400. McMurray, however, would report that the car was chattering all four tires after only a few laps. The No. 1 team went to work on strategy and making several changes trying to find the balance on the McDonald’s Chevrolet. Crew chief Bono Manion stretched the final fuel run and called for just two tires on the final pit stop looking to catch a late caution that would never come and McMurray would bring the McDonald’s Chevrolet home in the 21st-position.
McMurray commented following the race. “Our McDonald’s team really worked hard today. We were really loose for a couple of runs and then got caught a lap down when the caution came out just after we pitted. We raced hard to get the lap back and tried some strategy to pick up a few spots in the end. Our car was better in the closing laps, but just not enough time to make up the difference”.
- McMurray has three straight top-15 qualifying results at Chicagoland including a pole at the 2010 race
- This was the first race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup. Just nine races remain in the 2012 season
- McMurray is currently 20th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will head to New Hampshire Motor Speedway next weekend for the Sylvania 300. The race will air live on ESPN and radio stations affiliated with PRN on Sunday, September 23 at 2:00 pm ET.