MCDONALD'S TEAM FINISHES 24TH AT DOVER
Results (starting pos.) from the AAA 400 at Dover International Speedway
1. (10) Brad Keselowski, No. 2 Dodge
24. (20) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet
26. (35) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
McDonald’s Team Finishes 24th at Dover
DOVER, Del. (Sept. 30, 2012) – Dover International Speedway hosted the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series over the weekend at the “Monster Mile”. The McDonald’s team posted a 20th-place qualifying effort on Saturday and looked to improve position on Sunday during the AAA 400. Long green flag runs didn’t cooperate with pit strategy and the No. 1 team would finish the day in the 24th-position.
The race would only be slowed by caution five times for 28 laps, creating long green flag runs. The No. 1 team hoped to catch a break with pit strategy in the early going when McMurray was one of only eight cars that had not pitted when the first caution came out. However, handling issues and ensuing long green flag runs would show only six cars on the lead lap in the end. The McDonald’s team was posted in 24th-position in the final results.
McMurray commented following the AAA 400. ”We really had a struggle with the handling on our car in the early going. We made some adjustments and got better, but with the long green flag runs we weren’t able to get position back on the lead lap. We gambled on taking the wave-around to try and gain some positions back, but it worked against us. No lack of effort from our guys on this McDonald’s team, it’s tough when there are less than 10 cars on the lead lap.”
- In 20 career starts at Dover, McMurray has completed 7895 of 8004 laps (98.6%) run at the Monster Mile
- McMurray’s best career finish at Dover International Speedway came in September 2006 when he finished in the second position
- McMurray is currently 20th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will head to Talladega Superspeedway this weekend for the Good Sam Club Roadside Assistance 500. The race will air live on ESPN and radio stations affiliated with MRN on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 2 p.m. ET.