STRONG RUN FOR THE RACE WITH INSULIN TEAM
Results (starting pos.) from Martinsville Speedway
1. (1) Jimmie Johnson, No. 48 Chevrolet SS
7. (13) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Race With Insulin Chevrolet SS
26. (14) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet SS
STRONG RUN FOR THE RACE WITH INSULIN TEAM IN MARTINSVILLE
MARTINSVILLE, Va. (April 7, 2013) – The No. 1 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (EGR) team had a strong race car from start to finish at Martinsville Speedway as Jamie McMurray drove the Race With Insulin Chevy SS to a seventh-place finish at the half-mile oval in Southern Virginia.
McMurray was cautiously optimistic from the onset of the STP Gas Booster 500 about being a contender for the 500-lap race, and his strong Race With Insulin Chevy SS did not disappoint. After starting 13th, the team made an early pit stop under the first caution of the day and dropped back to the 35th-position. On the ensuing restart McMurray quickly made-up for the lost track-position racing back into the top-10 by lap 50.
Just before the 200-lap mark, the No. 1 was involved in an accident and had to make a quick fix for cosmetic damage to the rear of the race car. The team made swift mends to the car and had McMurray racing among the top-10 in a matter of 20 laps. The crew continued to adjust on the car to make a run to the front in the closing laps. Following a late caution, crew chief Kevin “Bono” Manion, made a decision to not pit and gained valuable track position allowing McMurray to wheel the No. 1 Race With Insulin Chevy SS home to a seventh-place finish.
“We had a really good car at the beginning of the race”, commented McMurray, who was in high spirits following the strong run. “After the incident that we were involved in, the car just wasn’t as good. The track got much tighter as the race went on. We adjusted for it, and continued to make up positions on the track. Bono made a good pit call at the end and got a couple of extra spots. It was a really good day for us.”
- The No. 1 Chevy SS featured the Novo Nordisk, Race With Insulin paint scheme at Martinsville to promote diabetes awareness
- McMurray ranked fifth among all drivers for the number of fastest laps run at Martinsville, setting the fastest pace 29 times
- With his seventh-place finish, McMurray moved up three spots to 13th-position in the NSCS point standings and is currently only 10 points out 10th-place and the cut-off for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Chase
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will head to Fort Worth for the NRA 500 on Saturday, April 13 at Texas Motor Speedway. The race will air live on FOX and radio stations affiliated with PRN at 7:30 pm EDT.