Strong Run for the Target Team at Martinsville Speedway
Results (with starting pos.) from Martinsville Speedway
1. (9) Kevin Harvick, No. 29 Chevrolet
4. (27) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
7. (1) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 WIDIA Chevrolet
Martinsville, Va. (April 3, 2011) – The Target team garnered another top-10 finish over the weekend at Martinsville Speedway. Juan Pablo Montoya started from the 27th position, avoided all the on-track melee and was able to bring the No. 42 Target Chevrolet home in the fourth position. This marks the second top-five finish and the fourth top-10 finish of the 2011 season for the team. The strong performance also advanced Montoya one position in the point standings to seventh, just 18 out of first.
Montoya lined-up towards the back of the field for Sunday’s Goody’s Fast Relief 500. The Target Chevrolet broke into the top-15 by lap 65 and would spend the majority of the race battling it out for position for the remaining laps of the 500-lap event. The crew made minor adjustments throughout the race to help with handling and with 50 laps remaining; the Target Chevrolet was firmly placed in the top-five. Montoya would hold his ground in the closing laps and finish in fourth. Montoya advanced a total of 23 spots during the race and was awarded the O’Reilly Auto Parts Position Improvement Award for the performance.
“We had a good day,” Montoya remarked. “Qualifying didn’t go so well for us on Saturday but everyone pulled it together. Everybody did an amazing job. We had a good Target Chevy. It was really good on the long runs. Good calls from the team and a good finish for us.”
- Montoya has one pole, two top-five and four top-10 finishes out of six races this season
- Montoya currently sits seventh in the point standings; just 18 out of first
- Montoya currently has an average starting position of 20.3 and an average finishing position of 11
- Montoya has a driver rating of 89.1 and is ranked ninth
- Montoya leads all other drivers as the best closer. He has improved the most positions in the last 10% of each race
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series heads to Texas Motor Speedway this weekend for the Samsung Mobile 500. The race will air on FOX and radio stations affiliated with PRN on Saturday, April 9 at 7:30 pm (ET).