Top-15 Performance by Montoya at the 'Lonestar State'
Results (with starting pos.) from Texas Motor Speedway
1. (4) Matt Kenseth, No. 17 Ford
13. (14) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
22. (17) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats Chevrolet
Ft. Worth, Tex. (April 9, 2011) – The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series headed to Texas Motor Speedway for their first night race of the season over the weekend. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet started from the 14th position and battled with changing track conditions and handling all night to finish out the night in the 13th position. Juan Pablo Montoya remains in the top-10 in the point standings, sitting eighth; 24 out of first.
The No. 42 Target Chevrolet hit the track for two practice sessions and a qualifying run prior to Saturday evening’s race under the lights. Friday’s qualifying session produced a 14th-place position on the starting grid. When the green flag waved for the Samsung Mobile 500, Montoya became a fixture in the top-15. Throughout the 334-lap event, Montoya radioed in changing handling conditions from loose in, to tight in the middle. The crew pitted a total of nine times for tires, fuel and adjustments. As day turned to night the No. 42 battled it out for a top position and was able to cross the finish line in the 13th position.
“It was a tough night for us,” Montoya stated after the race. “The track conditions were changing and the handling was all over the place. We did what we needed to do to bring home a solid finish for the Target team. Looking forward to moving on to Talladega next weekend.”
- Montoya has one pole, two top-five and four top-10 finishes out of seven races this season
- Montoya currently sits eighth in the point standings; just 24 out of first
- Montoya currently has an average starting position of 19.4 and an average finishing position of 11.3
- Montoya has a driver rating of 87.8 and is ranked 10th
- Montoya leads all other drivers as the best closer. He has improved the most positions in the last 10% of each race
Up next is the Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway. The race will air on FOX and radio stations affiliated with MRN on Sunday, April 17 at 1:00 pm (ET).