IT'S GOING TO BE A SATURDAY NIGHT SHOWDOWN AS THE STARS COME OUT IN CHARLOTTE
Sprint All-Star Race Notes
Race: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series All-Star Race on Saturday, May 21
Track: Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5-mile Quad-Oval)
Location: Concord, N.C.
Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates All-Star Notes
Juan Pablo Montoya will join Marcus Smith in the media center at 12:30 p.m. ET Friday to discuss Energizer’s Light up the Night campaign.
1. Last Week: Jamie McMurray started the FedEx 400 from the 31st spot on Sunday at Dover International Speedway. Despite having to make an unscheduled pit stop for a flat tire just before the halfway mark of the 400 lap race, the Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats team was able to bring home a 20th-place finish. Juan Pablo Montoya and the Target team battled rain, a finicky handling race car, track position and a string of bad luck near the end of the race to finish out the FedEx 400 in the 32nd position.
2. McMurray All-Star History: McMurray has taken the green flag five times in the Sprint All-Star Challenge. In 2003, he earned a spot in the All-Star race after his victory the previous year with Chip Ganassi at Charlotte Motor Speedway. In his five previous All-Star appearances McMurray has a best start of fourth in 2010, and a best finish of ninth in 2009.
3. Montoya All-Star History: Juan Pablo Montoya will be participating in his second career Sprint All-Star Challenge. In 2008, Montoya earned his first visit to the All-Star Race after his 2007 Infineon victory. This year, Montoya has qualified to race based on his win in the Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at the Glen in August of 2010.
4. Pit Crew Challenge: Both of the Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates pit crews will be participating in the NASCAR Sprint Pit Crew Challenge on Thursday evening, May 19 (7 p.m. ET) at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, N.C. This will be the sixth appearance for the No. 42 crew in the six-year-old event. In 2009, the No.1 team brought home six of the seven individual champion awards.
5. The Bunny Has Returned: Montoya will once again have the Energizer bunny on his car as the primary sponsor for the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Challenge. The paint scheme is celebrating Energizer’s promotion to “Light up the Night” at Charlotte Motor Speedway prior to the start of the race.
6. Let There be Light!: In celebration of their 16 year partnership, Earnhardt Ganassi Racing has teamed up with Energizer to “Light up the Night” at Charlotte Motor Speedway for the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Challenge on May 21st. Energizer hopes to help fans set a world record for shining the most flashlights simultaneously at a sporting event. 65,000 LED headlights will be distributed as fans are asked to shine them during pre-race festivities.
7. National Wild Turkey Federation: The National Wild Turkey Federation’s (NWTF) “Flying Turkey” logo will appear on the No. 1 Bass Pro Shops / National Wild Turkey Federation Chevrolet driven by Daytona 500 Champion Jamie McMurray for the Sprint All-Star Race. The Bass Pro Shops partnership with NWTF is part of the Conservation Fund’s “Racing for America’s Wildlife” program. The program is designed to engage the NASCAR community in conserving America’s hunting and fishing heritage through habitat protection, restoration, education, and outreach. The NWTF has over 500,000 members, with chapters across the United States, Canada, and 10 other countries around the world. The Federation has worked with their volunteers, partners and wildlife agencies to restore wild turkey populations in the U.S. and Canada.
8. McMurray Makes Pit-Stop at Bass Pro Shops Concord: Earnhardt Ganassi Racing’s Jamie McMurray, driver of the No.1 Bass Pro Shops / National Wild Turkey Federation Chevrolet, will make an appearance at the Bass Pro Shops in Concord, N.C. at 8181 Concord Mills Boulevard on Thursday, May 19 at 5:30 p.m. ET. There will be one autograph per person, as time allows. For more information contact Bass Pro Shops Concord, N.C at (704) 979-2200.
9. Sign Here Please: Jamie McMurray and Juan Pablo Montoya will be signing autographs Thursday, May 26 at 10:00 a.m. at the Earnhardt Ganassi Race shop in Concord, NC. There will be 85 wristbands made available starting May 23 at 8:00 a.m. Fans can call or stop by the EGR shop to reserve their wristbands. Pick-up for the reserved wristbands will begin Wednesday, May 25 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and after 8:00 a.m. on Thursday May 26. Limit two wristbands per person.
10. Ganassi Honored: Earnhardt Ganassi Racing team owner Chip Ganassi was recently recognized during commencement ceremonies with an honorary Doctor of Science and Technology degree from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Ganassi's home town. The school honored Ganassi as fixture in auto racing for more than 25 years and one of the most successful and innovative owners in motorsports.
No. 1 Bass Pro Shops®/National Wild Turkey Federation Chevrolet (NSCS): Chassis #1104: Crew Chief Kevin Manion and the Bass Pro team have elected to bring a brand new chassis to Charlotte for the All-Star Race.
No. 42 Energizer Chevrolet (NSCS): Chassis #1103: Crew Chief Brian Pattie and the Target team have elected to bring chassis No. 1103. This chassis was run earlier this year at Fontana where Montoya won the pole and finished 10th.