17TH-PLACE FINISH FOR MCMURRAY IN SPRINT ALL-STAR RACE
Results (with starting pos.) Charlotte Motor Speedway
1. (4) Carl Edwards, No. 99 Ford
12. (8) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Energizer Chevrolet
17. (9) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet
Concord, NC (May 21, 2011) – Jamie McMurray, making his sixth start in the NASCAR Sprint All-Start race, brought the No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/National Wild Turkey Federation Chevrolet home in 17th position after the fourth and final segment of this year’s event at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Coming into the non-points weekend on the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule, the No. 1 team looked to recall some of the Charlotte magic that they experienced with their success at the track in 2010. The team started the event from the ninth position and would spend the night trying to find the right balance and handle on their Chevrolet. After taking advantage of all the cautions and mandatory breaks to make necessary adjustments, the Bass Pro Shops/National Wild Turkey Federation team would restart the final segment in the back of the field before gaining a couple of positions in the closing laps to complete the event in 17th position.
McMurray commented after the event. “We had a difficult time finding the right balance on our car tonight, but one good thing that will come from this is we can evaluate and use this as a test for next weekend in the Coca-Cola 600. I’m happy we brought our car home in one piece. This race has a reputation to get a little wild when you put $1 million on the line for the winner. Thankfully there were not a lot of cars torn up, especially ours!”
- The No. 1 Chevrolet sported a National Wild Turkey Federation look in recognition of the “Racing for wildlife” program. The program is designed to engage the NASCAR community in conserving America’s hunting and fishing heritage through habitat protection, restoration, education, and outreach
- This was McMurray’s sixth start in the NASCAR Sprint All Star race
- McMurray is currently in 22nd position in the NSCS points, 61 points out of 10th-place
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will race at Charlotte Motor Speedway again next weekend, this time in a point’s race. The Coca-Cola 600 will run on Sunday, May 29 at 6:00 pm ET and air on FOX and radio stations affiliated with PRN.