TOUGH DAY FOR CARS 2 TEAM AT MIS
Results (with starting pos.) Michigan International Speedway
1. (10) Denny Hamlin, No. 11 Toyota
19. (14) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet
30. (25) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Cars 2 Chevrolet
Tough Day for the Cars 2 Team in the ‘Irish Hills’
Brooklyn, Mich. (June 19, 2011) – Juan Pablo Montoya and the Target team sported a new paint scheme over the weekend to promote the upcoming film, Cars 2. The No. 42 Chevrolet qualified in the 25th position and battled the right balance with handling for the entire weekend. He would eventually have to settle for a 30th-place finish.
Teams headed to the ‘Irish Hills’ of Michigan over the weekend for a 200-lap race. The team unloaded the Cars 2 Chevrolet and spent Friday’s practice sessions focusing on race trim. Saturday afternoon Montoya took two laps around the two-mile track and placed the Cars 2 Chevrolet in the 25th position for Sunday’s race. When the green flag waved the next day, Montoya immediately radioed in some concerns with the handling of the race car. The No. 42 came down pit road at every opportunity for fuel, tires and adjustments. As the laps continued, the Cars 2 Chevrolet continued to be a handful under long green flag conditions and eventually finished out the race in the 30th-position.
“We had a bad day,” Montoya stated post race. “We just couldn’t find the right balance with the handling of the car. It’s frustrating and then to run out of fuel towards the end really added to the whole day. I’m hoping this is the last of our bad luck and I’m really looking forward to our first road course race of the season next weekend in Sonoma. It’ll give us an opportunity to make up some lost ground.”
- Montoya has two poles, two top-five and five top-10 finishes out of 15 races this season
- Montoya dropped two positions in the point standings to 15th, 46 out of 10th
- Montoya has completed 4716 out of the possible 4748 laps; 99.3%
- Montoya will return to Sonoma this weekend, the site of his very first NSCS win in 2007
Next up on the schedule is the Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Infineon Raceway on Sunday, June 26. The race will air live on TNT and radio stations affiliated with PRN at 3:00 pm ET.