TOP-10 FOR MONTOYA AT DAYTONA
Results (with starting pos.) Daytona International Speedway
1. (5) David Ragan, No. 6 Ford
9. (30) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
22. (18) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet
Daytona Beach, Fla. (July 2, 2011) – Juan Pablo Montoya and the Target team returned to the “World Center of Racing” over the 4th of July weekend. The team qualified in the 30th position and spent 170 laps drafting with teammate Jamie McMurray. The race ended with two green/white/checkered attempts in a shootout to the finish where the No. 42 Target Chevrolet closed out the night in the ninth position.
Teams headed back to the high banks of Daytona for the third superspeedway race of the season. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet started in the back of the field and paired up with McMurray as soon as the green flag flew. The duo spent the majority of the race staying in the back of the field to avoid any on-track melee. With 50 laps remaining, the two made their move to the front and Montoya would be credited with leading a lap. Multiple accidents would occur in the closing laps resulting in two green/white/checkered flag attempts. Montoya and McMurray lined-up ninth and 10th in the final attempt and despite getting tangled up in an accident on the final lap, the Target Chevrolet limped across the finish line in the ninth position.
The top-10 finish marks the sixth one for Montoya this season and moves him up two positions in the point standings to 14th. He now sits 30 points out of the 10th spot for Chase contention.
- Montoya has two poles, two top-five and six top-10 finishes out of 17 races this season
- Montoya gained two positions in the point standings to 14h, 30 out of 10th
- Montoya’s top-10 finish marked the fourth top-10 in five starts at Daytona
- Montoya has completed 4996 out of the possible 5028 laps, 99.4%
The inaugural NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Kentucky Speedway is up next on the schedule. The Quaker State 400 is scheduled for Saturday, July 9 at 7:30 pm ET and will air on TNT and radio stations affiliated with PRN radio.