TOP-10 FOR THE TARGET TEAM AT THE GLEN
Results (with starting pos.) Watkins Glen International
1. (3) Marcos Ambrose, No. 9 Ford
7. (5) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
17. (14) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet
Top-10 Run for the Target Team at Watkins Glen International
Watkins Glen, NY. (August 15, 2011) – Juan Pablo Montoya and the Target team returned to Watkins Glen International over the weekend to defend their 2010 race win. The No. 42 Chevrolet qualified in the fifth position and would lead four laps before closing out the race in the seventh position.
Montoya posted the fifth quickest lap time during qualifying on Saturday afternoon but would need to wait until Monday before having the opportunity to race. Rain moved through the Upstate NY area causing NASCAR to postpone the 90-lap event until Monday morning. When the green flag finally waved, the No. 42 Target Chevrolet maintained valuable track position and ran the first 20 laps in the top-5 until a pit stop under green flag conditions. The run up front would eventually continue as Montoya was displayed as the lap leader for four laps at the halfway point until having to pit again. The Target Chevrolet would spend a total of 70 laps in the top-10 and even battle a broken front suspension to cross the finish line in the seventh position.
“We had a really good car today”, Montoya stated. “We found a problem with the front suspension of the car which is really a shame cause the pace was really good. It felt good to have the Target Chevrolet back up front again.”
With only four races remaining until the cut-off for the Chase, Montoya has two top-five and seven top-10 finishes and has led a total of 103 laps. He moved up one position in the point standings to 20th, 82 points out of 10th.
- Montoya has two poles, two top-five and seven top-10 finishes with four races remaining until the Chase cut-off
- Montoya gained one position in the point standings to 20th, 82 out of 10th
- Montoya has completed 6013 out of the possible 6048 laps, 99.4% after 22 races
- in five starts at Watkins Glen, Montoya has one win, two top-five and four top-10 finishes (80%)
The Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway is up next. The race will air on ESPN and radio stations affiliated with MRN at 1:00 pm ET on Sunday, August 21.