MONTOYA COMES HOME WITH 19TH AT BRISTOL
Results (with starting pos.) Bristol Motor Speedway
1. (8) Brad Keselowski, No. 2 Dodge
5. (6) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/Realtree Chevrolet
19. (19) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
Top-20 Finish for the Target Team at Bristol Motor Speedway
BRISTOL, Tenn. (August 27, 2011) – The Target team made a stop at the “World’s Fastest Half-Mile” over the weekend for some racing under the lights. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet qualified in the 19th position and overcame some handling concerns and going one lap down in the 500 lap event to finish out the evening in the 19th position.
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series returned to Bristol Motor Speedway for a two day show. Juan Pablo Montoya spent Friday practicing and qualifying the No. 42 Target Chevrolet and then buckled in Saturday night for 500 laps of racing action. The Target Chevrolet battled some handling woes early on but overcame those concerns after multiple pit stops during the race for adjustments. The race experienced several long green flag runs and Montoya was caught one lap down just past the halfway point. The crew played on pit strategy and was able to regain valuable track position with the lead pack and fight it out to the end. When the checkered flag waved, the No. 42 Chevrolet crossed the finish line unscathed and on the lead lap in the 19th position.
“Bristol’s a tough track,” Montoya remarked. “You have to have track position and keep out of trouble in order to be there in the end. We struggled a bit with the handling but got it together there at the end. Not the top-10 finish we had hoped for but I’m excited for the direction things are heading in.”
- Montoya has two poles, two top-five and seven top-10 finishes with two races remaining until the Chase cut-off
- Montoya sits 23rd in the point standings, 89 points out of 10th
- Montoya has completed 6716 out of the possible 6751 laps, 99.5% after 24 races
- Montoya has no DNF’s in 2011
The AdvoCare 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway is up next. The race will air on ESPN and radio stations affiliated with PRN at 7:30 pm ET on Sunday, September 4.