MONTOYA RALLIES FOR 14TH AT CHARLOTTE
Results (starting pos.) Charlotte Motor Speedway
1. (2) Matt Kenseth, No. 17 Ford
14. (32) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
27. (27) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/ Artic Cat Chevrolet
Target Team Rally to a Top-15 Finish at Charlotte
CONCORD, NC. (October 15, 2011) – Teams headed into their “backyards” at Charlotte Motor Speedway for the last night race of the 2011 season. The Target team unloaded a brand new chassis and worked on the handling all weekend to rally from a 32nd-place starting position to 14th- place finish when the checkered flag waved.
Juan Pablo Montoya and the No. 42 team came into Charlotte with a brand new car and spent all three practice sessions tweaking the set-up to prepare for 500 miles at the mile-and-a-half facility. The Target Chevrolet would qualify in the 32nd position and the work on the race car continued Saturday evening when the green flag waved. Montoya experienced some handling concerns early on and the crew made seven pit stops to help alleviate the troublesome car. As the race continued the handling began to turn around and Montoya was able to rebound from being two laps down. In the closing laps, Montoya drove the No. 42 Target into the top-15 and finished out the evening in the 14th position.
“The Target guys did a great job tonight,” Montoya remarked. “The car was a handful early on and they made great calls to get us to where we needed to be. I’m happy with how we worked together tonight and looking forward to some superspeedway racing next weekend at Talladega.”
- Montoya has two poles, two top-five and eight top-10 finishes this season
- Montoya has the highest number of laps run this season out of any driver with 9011 including all 12 of the Chase contenders
- Montoya sits 19th in the point standings
- Montoya has no DNF’s in 2011
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series heads to Talladega Superspeedway next. There are five races remaining in the 2011 season. The Good Sam 500 will air on ESPN and radio stations affiliated with MRN on Sunday, October 23 at 2:00 pm ET.