EGR READY FOR 2012 SEASON
Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Ready for 2012 Season
NASCAR Sprint Cup Team Announces 2012 Line-Up
CONCORD, NC – Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates drivers Juan Pablo Montoya and Jamie McMurray will return for the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) season. Montoya will be behind the wheel of the No. 42 Target Chevrolet for the fourth consecutive season and his sixth full-season in the NSCS. McMurray will make his return in the No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/ McDonald’s Chevrolet for his third straight season and 10th overall in the NSCS.
The duo will return to Daytona International Speedway in February for Speedweeks, which kicks off with the Budweiser Shootout Feb. 18 followed by the 54th running of ‘The Great American Race’ on Feb. 26.
Notes of Interest:
• A GLANCE AT MONTOYA: Montoya has 181 NSCS career starts heading into the 2012 season. He has amassed seven poles, two wins, 20 top-five and 49 top-10 finishes. He is the only foreign-born driver to have multiple wins in NASCAR’s elite series. The Budweiser Shootout will mark the first race for Montoya with new crew chief Chris Heroy calling the shots.
• A GLANCE AT MCMURRAY: McMurray has 330 NSCS career starts and has tallied eight poles, six wins, 41 top-five and 96 top-10 finishes. In 2010, McMurray became only the third driver in history to win both the Daytona 500 and Brickyard 400 in the same season. Crew chief Kevin “Bono” Manion will return to lead the No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/McDonald’s team in 2012.
• NEW TO THE TEAM: Earnhardt Ganassi Racing recently announced the addition of three key members to the team. Chris Heroy was named the new crew chief of the No. 42 Target Chevrolet with driver Juan Pablo Montoya, Max Jones has joined EGR as the team manager and John Probst has taken over as technical director.
• WELCOME ABOARD: The 2012 season brings with it two new partners on the No. 1 Chevrolet with Jamie McMurray. The organization welcomes Belkin and Banana Boat to the program. Belkin will be the primary sponsor of the No. 1 car at the April Martinsville race and Banana Boat at the June Pocono race. Both will also be an associate sponsor for the balance of the season.
• EXPANDING THE PARTNERSHIP: Two existing partners, LiftMaster and Kennametal, will increase their presence on the No. 1 Chevrolet this year. LiftMaster will continue as an associate sponsor as well as carry a primary paint scheme at the September New Hampshire race. Kennametal has renewed their partnership and will continue as an associate sponsor.
• STILL GOING STRONG: Target will celebrate their 23rd season with Chip Ganassi Racing Teams this year. This will mark the ninth season as the primary sponsor in the NSCS and 23rd in the IZOD IndyCar Series. To date, Target has 90 wins, 85 poles, and 218 podium finishes. 2012 marks Bass Pro Shops ninth year as a primary sponsor in the NASCAR ranks. The No. 1 Chevrolet will also carry the golden arches this year as McDonald’s will run 13 races with McMurray.
• OVERALL TOTALS: Chip Ganassi Racing Teams now boasts 145 total wins (1990-2011): 86 - INDYCAR, 37 - GRAND-AM, 10 - Sprint Cup, 6 – Nationwide and 6 – ARCA.