TARGET TEAM FINISHES 11TH AT PIR
Results (start) Phoenix International Raceway
1. (13) Denny Hamlin, No. 11 Toyota
11. (5) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
37. (21) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats Chevrolet
Target Team Brings Home an 11th-Place Finish at Phoenix
Avondale, Ariz. (March 4, 2012) – The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series headed out west for the second race of the 2012 season. This marked the second time teams had returned to the newly configured racetrack. Montoya qualified the No. 42 Target Chevrolet in the fifth position and overcame early handling concerns to cross the finish line in the 11th position.
The Subway Fresh Fit 500 got underway just past one o’clock and the No. 42 Chevrolet maintained track position despite a concern over handling on lap two of the 312 lap event. The Target crew brought the race car down pit road multiple times to help with the handling concerns and adjust to the changing track conditions. Montoya avoided any on-track issues and made a charge to the front in the closing laps. The Target Chevrolet advanced 10 positions with 70 laps remaining and crossed the finish line in the 11th position.
“We had a hard time keeping up with the racetrack but the Target guys kept after it and we ended up with an 11th-place finish,” Montoya remarked. “I’m happy with how hard everyone worked throughout the race and I feel that we are really coming together as a team and are ready to move on to Vegas with a little momentum,.”
- Yesterday’s race marked only the second time NASCAR has raced on the newly configured Phoenix International Raceway
- Montoya’s 11th-place finish marked his third best performance at the mile facility (8th – 2009 & 5th – 2010)
- The race at Phoenix marked the five-year anniversary of Montoya’s first NASCAR win at Mexico City – 3/4/07
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will remain out west next week as teams will travel to Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The Kobalt Tools 400 will air on FOX and radio stations affiliated with PRN on Sunday, March 11 at 2:30 pm ET.
For more information log onto: