MCMURRAY FINISHES 7TH AT BRISTOL
Results (starting pos.) from Bristol Motor Speedway
1. (5) Brad Keselowski, No. 2 Dodge
7. (17) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet
8. (30) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
TOP-10 FINISH FOR McDONALD’S TEAM AT BRISTOL
Bristol, Tenn. (March 18, 2012) – Bristol Motor Speedway, “The World’s Fastest Half-Mile”, has a reputation to be brutal on drivers and equipment, however Jamie McMurray was able to battle with the tough concrete half-mile track and bring the McDonald’s Chevrolet home with a strong top-10 finish in the first short track race of the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) season.
The McDonald’s team took advantage of an early competition caution and opted to not pit, to gain valuable track position. The gamble paid off as McMurray would restart in the top-10 and would race the remainder of the day on the lead lap near the front of the field. Long green flag runs would dominate the day as the 500-lap race was slowed only five times for caution. The final caution of the afternoon on lap 479 allowed the No. 1 Chevrolet to pit for four fresh Goodyear tires. On the final restart McMurray would gain three spots, restarting in 10th and bringing the McDonald’s Chevrolet to the checkered flag in the seventh-position.
The seventh-place run earned McMurray his first back-to-back top-10 finish since July 2010 when he finished fifth at Chicagoland Speedway and followed up the next week at Indianapolis Motor Speedway with a victory in the Brickyard 400.
An elated McMurray climbed from the car and commented, "I ‘m just glad to finish the race! To finish that good and bring home a top-10 finish for our McDonald’s team shows that all of the hard work is paying off. This was a good day for Earnhardt Ganassi Racing to have both teams finish in the top-10”.
- McMurray has finished in the top-10 in four of his last five starts at Bristol Motor Speedway
- McMurray and teammate Juan Pablo Montoya each a had a top-10 finish, the first time both cars have finished in the top-10 in the same race since April 2011 at Martinsville Speedway
- In 19 career starts at Bristol Motor Speedway McMurray has zero DNF’s
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will be at Auto Club Speedway next for the Auto Club 400 on Sunday March 25, 2012. FOX and MRN affiliated radio stations will have live coverage at 3pm EDT.