TOP-15 RUN FOR TARGET TEAM AT KANSAS
Results (starting pos.) from Kansas Speedway
1. (4) Denny Hamlin, No 11 Toyota
12. (39) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
14. (36) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet
Top-15 Run for the Target Team at Kansas
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (April 22, 2012) – The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series headed out to Kansas City over the weekend for the STP 400, The No. 42 Target team overcame a 39th starting position and some handling concerns to finish in the 12th-position. The strong run resulted in Juan Pablo Montoya receiving the USG Improving the Finish award for improving 27 spots during the 267-lap race.
A loose handling race car hindered a strong qualifying run Saturday morning and the team would roll off the starting grid in the 39th position. Within 25 laps, Montoya gained 18 positions and was displayed in 21st. That charge to the front would continue as the Target Chevrolet broke into the top-10 by lap 66 and led four laps. As the race continued, Montoya began to battle with the handling and would make contact with the wall on lap 188. The crew worked to turn the car around and made a final charge to the front in the closing laps under a long green flag run. The No. 42 Target Chevrolet finished out the day in the 12th position.
"What a crazy day for us,” Montoya remarked. “The Target car started out strong and then we battled with the changing track all day long. We finally got it handling pretty good there at the end again but we never got the chance to catch up to the leaders. We’re making great progress and I’m happy with the way things turned out."
- The 12th-place finish marks the third top-15 finish for the Target team in 2012
- Montoya led four laps during the race. This marks the first time he has led laps this season
- Montoya gained two positions in the point standings after his run at Kansas. He now sits in the 16th position; 42 points out of Chase contention
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will be at Richmond International Raceway next Saturday April 28, 2012. FOX and MRN affiliated radio stations will have live coverage at 7:30 p.m. ET.