TEAM TARGET FINISHES 12TH AT RIR
Results (starting pos.) from Richmond International Raceway
1. (5) Kyle Busch, No 18 Toyota
12. (20) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
14. (37) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 McDonald’s Chevrolet
Target Team Produces Back-to-Back Top-15 Finishes
RICHMOND, Va. (April 28, 2012) – For the second week in a row the No. 42 Target team finished in the top-15. Juan Pablo Montoya started mid-field at Richmond International Raceway and flirted with the top-10 throughout the evening to cross the finish line in the 12th position. This marks the fourth top-15 finish in nine starts this season and helped Montoya maintain his 16th-place standing in the points.
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series returned to short track racing over the weekend. 43 cars lined-up for the Capital City 400 under the lights at Richmond. Montoya rolled off from the 20th starting spot and maintained his top-20 position throughout the first half of the 400-lap -race. The Target Chevrolet experienced some handling concerns but with a few minor adjustments, Montoya was able to break into the top-10 by lap 250. On the final restart of the race, the No. 42 got shuffled back a few spots in the field and finished the race in the 12th position.
"I'm really happy with how we raced tonight,” Montoya remarked. “The Target Chevy was fast and 'Shine' made some great calls on pit road to get the car handling right. I'm very proud of the team. We're definitely heading in the right direction with this program."
- The 12th-place finish marks the fourth top-15 finish for the Target team in 2012
- Montoya has back-to-back 12th place finishes after his run in Richmond
- Montoya maintained his standing in the points. He sits in the 16th position; 39 points out of Chase contention
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series heads to Talladega Superspeedway next weekend for restrictor plate racing action on Sunday May 6. The race will air live on FOX and radio stations affiliated with MRN at 1:00 p.m. ET.