TARGET TO SURPRISE AND DELIGHT FANS AT CMS
Target To Surprise and Delight NASCAR Fans in Charlotte
CONCORD, NC (May 15, 2012) – Longtime race partner of Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, Target, plans to expand their presence in NASCAR during the Sprint All-Star and Coca Cola 600 race weeks. In addition to being the presenting sponsor of the Blake Shelton pre-race concert, Target will have nine branded race carts providing samples of their grocery items in the campgrounds surrounding Charlotte Motor Speedway, a Target Taste Wagon as well as a Target Shuttle that will provide fans transportation to the Target in Kannapolis, N.C.
The Target motorsports program has been an integral part of the Target culture since partnering with team owner Chip Ganassi in 1990 and their relationship with the No. 42 Target team and driver Juan Pablo Montoya in NASCAR offered them an opportunity to connect with race fans in the Charlotte market. The goal is to give the fans an unforgettable Target brand experience that will make their time at the race even better.
NOTES OF INTEREST:
• SURPRISE AND DELIGHT: Campers and race fans at Charlotte Motor Speedway will be able to sample Target branded food items as well as catch a ride to the local Target store for supplies Thursday, May 17 – Saturday, May 19 and then again from Thursday, May 24 – Saturday, May 26. Look for the Target branded vehicles on track property from 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. throughout race weeks.
• A FEW CHOSEN “JUANS”: Target brand ambassadors will also be on-site to hand out some added items such as opportunities to meet Juan Pablo Montoya as well as a private autograph session with Montoya, race tickets, Blake Shelton VIP concert tickets, tours of the Earnhardt Ganassi Racing race shop, and autographed race merchandise.
• MAKEOVER PLEASE: Look for the Target pit crew to make some surprise visits to five camp sites surrounding Charlotte Motor Speedway during race week. The lucky recipients will receive a complete camp site makeover by the No. 42 Target pit crew compliments of Target.
• FOOD FOR THOUGHT: In the Charlotte-area, 14 out of the 15 Target stores offer their expanded fresh food layout which includes: fresh produce, fresh meat, and baked goods. The new layout also includes other items throughout the store such as beauty, home, baby and shoes to provide shoppers with the ultimate shopping experience.
• LOOKING GOOD AT 50: 2012 marks Target’s 50th Anniversary, opening its first store in Roseville, Minn. in May 1962. Target was born out of department store roots from the Dayton Company and has become a leader of design and innovation. Now in 1,764 communities across the United States, Target has a strong legacy of giving back through support and volunteerism. This year, Target celebrates its legacy with a nod to the past and a look ahead to the exciting things to come.
• MAN BEHIND THE BULLSEYE: Juan Pablo Montoya is in his sixth full-time season in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) and his fourth year with Target as a partner (he was also partnered for two years with Target in the CART Series in 1999 & 2000). The former Formula One driver, CART champion and Indianapolis 500 winner has 192 NSCS career starts with two wins, 20 top-five and 50 top-10 finishes. He currently sits 19th in the point standings; 65 points out of the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
Steve Lauletta, Team President:
“We appreciate Target’s long-standing commitment to racing and the Ganassi team. We’re excited about this fresh, fun way to surprise and excite fans. NASCAR and the No. 42 race team are a perfect fit to partner with Target – and we look forward to connecting with delighted fans at the campgrounds over the next two weeks.”
Juan Pablo Montoya:
“It’s pretty exciting to see Target get involved with the NASCAR program like this and bring their product directly to the fans. Everyone loves Target and now on race weekend, they will even take you to their store. I look forward to jumping in one of those Target race carts and cruising around the campsites.”