MCMURRAY HAS STRONG FINISH IN SHOWDOWN
Results (with starting pos.) Charlotte Motor Speedway
1. (3) Dale Earnhardt Jr., No. 88 Chevrolet
3. (19) Jamie McMurray, No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/Allstate Chevrolet
5. (7) Juan Pablo Montoya, No. 42 Target Chevrolet
STRONG THIRD-PLACE FINISH FOR McMURRAY IN SPRINT SHOWDOWN
Concord, N.C. (May 19, 2012) – Jamie McMurray, making his fifth start in the Sprint Showdown, brought the No. 1 Bass Pro Shops/Allstate Chevrolet home in third position at the end of the 40-lap preliminary event to the NASCAR Sprint All-Start race. McMurray missed the transfer spot to the Sprint All-Star Race by one position at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Coming into the non-points weekend on the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule, the No. 1 team looked to their way into the “main event” the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race with a first or second-place finish. After starting from the rear of the field McMurray would charge to the front and show some strength in his No. 1 Chevy. Unfortunately in the closing of the 40-lap event, the Bass Pro Shops/Allstate Chevrolet got a little bit loose and was unable to hold onto the second position and brought the No. 1 Chevy home with a third-place finish.
McMurray commented after the event. “It is disappointing to come so close and not transfer into the All-Star race, but we worked hard to race from the back. Our Bass Pro Shops Chevy was fast tonight, so I look forward to coming back next week and racing in the Coca-Cola 600.”
• This was McMurray’s fifth start in the Sprint Showdown
• McMurray has only finished outside the top-10 once in five starts in the Sprint Showdown
• Bobby Labonte was the Sprint fan vote winner and advanced into the Sprint All-Star race
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series will race at Charlotte Motor Speedway again next weekend, this time in a point’s race. The Coca-Cola 600 will run on Sunday, May 27 at 6:00 p.m. ET and air on FOX and radio stations affiliated with PRN.